Monday 23 May 2011

Housing Confirmed: The Saga of the Impassable Paywall

The issue with my double entry was a non-issue, thankfully. My housing contract was offered to me, and I was all ready to accept. But new issues soon cropped up.

 Yay! Room 4B in Flat 1, Block 1 of Clanny house has been reserved for me!

 That doesn't apply to me, I'm ISEP. Pwned.
 Yep, yep. Click to agree, then... Accept offer!

Non-refundable booking fee? Whatever. I'm ISEP. 


 Er... Sure. I guess I can click that... since I have to click something. 
Whoah, whoah. No. I'm ISEP, so I don't have to pay! I emailed Sue Jackson and everything, and the University of Sunderland's Institutional Information Sheet for ISEP says that I don't have to pay booking fees.

I clicked the "Next" button and was greeted by a credit card information entry page (a paywall: I had to submit my payment information before I would be allowed to continue).
After gasping in panic and griping about the stupid automated paywalls, I emailed the "Send queries to" email, which never replies, and then forwarded my correspondence with Sue Jackson to Nicola Jackson, the ISEP person at Sunderland. Her official title is actually "International Development Officer", but whatever.
I think it was probably helpful of me to include my "Accommodation Application Reference Number", my student number, and the "Booking Reference Number" in my emails, because no one emailed me back about needing them, and the whole thing was taken care of while I was sleeping. All I had to do was email Denise from Residential Services that I confirm all the stuff that I would have happily confirmed had the site let me.
However, by the time I woke up to email anyone, it was already after 19:00 in England, so I'll have to wait until tomorrow to see how this turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment